Pests and Disease

The County's mandate is to protect the public from agricultural nuisances and pests, including Fusarium Graminearum, West Nile Virus, Fireblight, BSE, Grasshoppers, and more.

If you have any questions about these, or other pests and diseases in the province, please contact the Agriculture department at 780-542-7779.

Weed Pests & Diseases

Bothered by skunks? Click here to rent a Skunk Trap.


Pesticide Toxicology - 1-800-267-6315
Pollution Emergency Response Team - 1-800-222-6514 (24 hrs)
Poison Control Centre ... 1-800-332-1414
Alberta Environment Regional Office - 1-780-427-7617
Brazeau County Agriculture Department - 780-542-7779

The Agriculture Department undertakes herbicide treatments each year for the purpose of weed and brush control. This treatment is throughout the municipality on County road allowances. Herbicide selection is based on weed species, present land use, and soil type. Spraying commences early in June. If any residents want to sign up for the No Spray Program, please contact the County office mid-May.

Meeting the Threat of Fusarium Graminearum

Fireblight Awareness Program

Alberta Grasshopper Forecast 2006

Clubroot Disease of Canola and Mustard

Livestock Pests & Diseases

The Agriculture Department works to provide the most up-to-date information on diseases of cattle, horses, sheep, and other livestock. The County also supports integrated pest management for Richardson Ground Squirrels. When it comes to controlling "gophers" there are several options, including cultural control, chemical control, and non-chemical control. For more information, call 780-542-7779.

West Nile Virus in Horses
Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)

BSE Surveillance

BSE testing (surveillance) is a tool used to measure the effectiveness of the actions put in place to control BSE. By doing ongoing BSE surveillance we can demonstrate the reduction of this disease in our province's cattle herd.  By participating in BSE surveillance you will help maintain continuous access to domestic and international markets for our cattle and beef products.  Please see the documents below on how you can participate in this program. 

BSE surveillance is a sharedresponsibility. Cattle producers,industry, veterinarians andgovernments all have a role to play.

BSE Brochure
Veterinarian List


The Province of Alberta operates a Rat Control program to keep the province free of resident populations of rats. Brazeau County’s Agricultural Services Division also assists to keep the County rat-free.

For more information about rats, please visit$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/com14443