Subdivision & Development Appeals

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board is a five member panel that hears and decides appeals on subdivision and development decisions that have been made previously by the Development Officer or the Municipal Planning Commission. Three Members-at-Large appointments are made annually along with two members of the County Council.

An appeal may be commenced within 14 days of the receipt of the written decision of the subdivision or development authority. 

Appeals shall be submitted on the applicable appeal form (links to the forms are provided below) and accompanied by the required fees in accordance with the current Schedule of Fees, and submitted to the appropriate appeal board within the required time frame. Please contact the Planning & Development Department at 780-542-7777 for further information on appeal boards. 

Subdivision appeals may be filed by:

  • The applicant for subdivision approval;
  • Government departments to which subdivision applications are required to be referred for comment; or
  • School authorities on limited issues relating to municipal and school reserves.

The Municipal Government Act does not provide for adjacent landowners to appeal subdivisions but adjacent landowners are entitled to be notified of an appeal and to be heard at the Board hearing.

If the subject lands are within the Green Area (as classified by the Public Lands Act) or within set distances (as determined by the Subdivision and Development Regulation) to a highway, a body of water, a sewage treatment facility or a waste management facility, the appeal board is the Municipal Government Board (MGB).  In all other cases, the appeal board is the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB)

Development appeals may be filed by:

  • The applicant for the development permit; or
  • Any person affected by an order, decision or development permit.

If the development authority fails or refuses to issue a development permit, if the development authority issues a development permit subject to conditions, or if the development authority issued an order under section 645, a development appeal may be filed. However, if a development permit was issued for a permitted use, an appeal may only be filed on the basis that the provisions of the land use bylaw were relaxed, varied, or misinterpreted.

The appeal board for development permits is the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB)

All appeal forms can be found here.