Brazeau County has prepared two information guides for those thinking about putting their name forward to run in the 2017 General Election. The election will take place on October 16, 2017. Nomination Day will take place September 18, 2017. The guides are prepared for information only and are not an exhaustive resource.
Below, you will find the Nomination and Candidate guides as well as other helpful information leading up to the election.
In addition to the information on this page, Alberta Municipal Affairs has a number of helpful documents available:
The Society of Local Government Managers (SLGM), in collaboration with Municipal Affairs, is offering free candidate training for those individuals interested in seeking public office at either the municipal or school board level. Each session provides candidates with useful information and advice on the roles and responsibilities of elected office so they can determine whether it is the right choice for them.
The sessions are designed to help candidates:
- Understand the significance, character, roles and responsibilities of an elected official in local authorities
- Appreciate the significance of and legal obligations associated with local authority office
- Understand the basic requirements of running an ethical campaign
- Develop the understandings that will permit potential candidates to decide whether local authority office is something to which they truly aspire
- Understand the requirements of running well-organized effective campaigns
- Understand rights and obligations of candidates and candidate’s agents with the election administration regime
Session dates and times:
- Calgary – August 31, 7:00 – 10 p.m.
- Edmonton – September 6, 7:00 – 10 p.m.
- Edmonton – September 7, 7:00 – 10 p.m.
- Lethbridge – September 11, 7:00 – 10 p.m.
- Grande Prairie – September 14, 7:00 – 10 p.m.
Enquiries may be directed to:
Director, Advocacy & Communications